Just when I thought I wouldn’t have a post this week due to long meetings downtown at work, HHHH puts out a questionnaire for me to answer. Serendipitous!
1. How long have you been spinning? What skill level do you consider yourself?
Over 2 years. Intermediate- Novelty/Art yarns are still a huge challenge for me, and I am often not sure what I’ll do with them when I am done.
2. What kinds of yarn do you create (singles/2-ply/3-ply/art yarn)?2 ply lace-fingering, and 3 ply sport for socks mostly.
3. What do you spin with (spindle/wheel/both)?
Mostly wheel now. I do keep my spindles and a bit of wool at work for really shitty days though.
4. What are your favorite fibers to spin with? Anything you don’t like?
My favorite right this very moment is bamboo. Merino/Tencel is always an “ooooh, shiny!” for me too. Really, anything.
5. Who are your favorite crack dealers fiber sources (etsy or otherwise)?
Etsy sometimes. Usually I just stock up at MSW, and then order other things during the year as they catch my eye. Most likely I will order from Creatively Dyed and The Ranch on Etsy next, and possibly Materials Whirled online. I really need to spin up what I have now before being tempted elsewhere however.
6. What kind of fiber do you want to try?
silk, but I already own some, just haven’t gotten around to it yet.
7. Is there any techniques you would like to learn?
The wrap and roll technique that was in Spin Off recently.
8. Do you dye fiber? If not, would you like to learn?
I have done.
9. Do you have fiber prep tools (and like to use them) or would you prefer ready to spin fiber?
I have combs, but generally just use prepped fibers. The combs come in handy when something goes wrong with the prepped fiber however. (I once had some bfl age rather badly in my stash.)
10. What do you do with your handspun? What projects have you completed?
Give it away. Make socks or Lace. Pet it.
11. Are you in need of any spinning gadgets (WPI Gauge, threading hook, etc)?
not really, I don’t use the ones I have that often
12. What colors “fall into your shopping basket”? Any colors you just can’t stand?
I am a sucker for blues and watery type colorways. But I also end up with a lot of brown/green because those are colors that shmoo likes.
13. What is on your wheel/spindle right now?
Erm….some Bamboo from Loop
14. What other crafts/hobbies do you have?
Knitting, Soaping, Sewing
15. Other than crafts, what are you passionate about?
I play a lot of WoW, and listen to a lot of audiobooks.
16. Do you have an online wishlist?
17. Is there anything that you collect?
Little turtle figurines.
18. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What magazine subscriptions do you have?
I have subs to IK, SpinOff, and Piecework.
19. When is your birthday?
20. What book or movie character do you most resemble in personality?
21. What is the climate like where you live around this time (need to know for careful shipments of anything meltable)?
Hot and humid.
22. Tell us one weird fact about yourself!
I always have painted toe-nails, but hardly ever will I paint my fingernails. And when I do, it’s with clear or a very very pale cream.
Leighton’s Flaming June
Really, I have a strange fondness of all the Dutch and Englishmen who painted Greco-Roman scenes in the 1800s. But it all started with Leighton.
Those mint 3 Musketeers
anything not fish or mushrooms really.
Sweet Iced Tea.
Hard to say…we don’t watch a ton of them.
House, CSI, Bones, L&O: CI
Stuff by Eddings, C.E. Murphy, Garth Nix, Maria V Snyder, Christopher Moore, Tamora Pierce, Lois McMaster Bujold. There’s more but that’s off the top of my head.
Guilty Pleasure(s): Those cheesy reality competition shows. You know, Bravo hosts a crap-ton of them. Project Runway, Top Chef, Shear Genius. Currently I watch the New Elle Woods one on Mtv too. That’s probably the one I feel guiltiest about.